Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Watercolor Peacocks and Owls and a Message about Being Yourself


Here are a few more of my creations.  I started out with a cool stamp set from Hero Arts called "Happy Hello".  It was on clearance at my local Michael's store and I just had to have it and for $3.99.  I've had a ton of fun with it. 


All of the featured owl and peacocks were created the same way.  I used some watercolor paper, colored it in a random pattern with water color pencils, spritzed it with water to allow the colors to run.  You can let it air dry or, if you are impatient like me, you can dry it with a heat embosser.  Just be careful to not burn the paper by holding it too close.  Ask me how I know this.  I then heat embossed the characters and cut them out.  Another tip: If you color the edges with a sharpie after you cut, it looks much neater, in case you haven't mastered the art of leaving even borders.  Again, ask me how I know this. 


I used a variety of stamps and papers to complete the cards.  Mostly Stampin' Up product including their new In Colors of Calypso Coral, Island Indigo, Wisteria Wonder and Lucky Limeade.  I also love the Pool Party color, but was out of it, even the scraps.  Finally, I really love these cards because they bring an important message that I try to tell my children and students all the time: Be Yourself and be Proud of Your Individuality.








1 comment: